Thursday, April 05, 2007

The American Left: Whiny, Unhappy People

A friend of mine called yesterday and said "You've got to see this video from the John Edwards town hall meeting in New Hampshire. It's amazing!" I don't get many excited phone calls about C-SPAN programming, so I took his advice.

All I can say is, "Wow."

The key portions, featured on my radio show today, is the incoherent, narcissistic ramblings of one Jenny Ballantine, a student at UNH. Her position is that the President of the United States' job is to make her feel good about herself:


"I need to be able to look to my leader and see words of encouragement, words of hope. I need to be able to trust that person. I need to be able to know that I'm going to be grow in a world that's not going to be full of hate and prejudice and racism and to know that I matter, that I wasn't just dumped in this world for no particular reason whatsoever.... I don't know what I want to be when I'm an adult. But I'm 22 right now, so people are like, "Honey, you are an adult." You know what? It's about me. It's about me voting for you or supporting somebody who's going to be the next president. So it's all about me right now. Just give me something."


That's right: "Give me something."

What this woman needs is a life. A clue. A cinder block of reason and reality crashing in on her head. Who wakes up in the morning going "Hey, my life has no meaning, I don't know why I was put on this earth, I'm not sure what to do with my life...I better call the White House!"

This is the Angry Left's world view in a nutshell, which explains why they're so angry. If you're counting on Washington politicians to answer the fundamental questions of human existence and legislate a happy outcome for your life, you will be forever disappointed.

This juvenile world view of John Edwards as Jesus Christ, bringing peace and love to all, is perhaps the fundamental failure of American liberalism. Liberalism's guiding principles are so nonsensical that, when someone as clueless as Ms. Ballentine actually puts it into words, we all cringe.

Give my life meaning? Give me a purpose? Give me something?

Please, my Lefty friends, give me a break.

UPDATE: If you're having trouble viewing the CSPAN video, it's in Real Media format. Here's the latest link I can find:
rtsp://video.c-span.org/archive/c08/c08_040307_edwards2.rm

If you still have trouble, you can go to www.cspan.org and search for John Edwards, but it's still going to be a Real Media file.